Now that you are pregnant, you are probably curious about what activities you can do while pregnant? In fact, you can do a lot of the usual fun activities that you have always done, even when you are pregnant. The American Pregnancy Association says that exercising is usually safe during pregnancy, mainly if you were used to exercising before being pregnant.
When I was newly pregnant, I asked myself, what activities can you do while pregnant? Indeed, I was concerned that I might miscarry if I did too much exercise. I learned that during a normal pregnancy, activity should not put you at risk for a miscarriage. However, you must consult your healthcare provider before you start any exercise routine. He’s the one who decides what is safe for you and your baby. Especially if you have medical conditions from your pregnancy, like preeclampsia, weak cervix, or other health condition, you will want to talk to your doctor about exercising. I’m sure you do not want to put your baby at risk.
If you have a medical condition, your doctor may recommend a low-impact exercise like walking. In all cases, be sure to speak to your physician to see what you can do and what you should avoid.
How Does Exercise Affect Pregnancy?
You may be curious how does exercise affects pregnancy and what the benefits are.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says that benefits include:
- Reduces back pain
- Eases constipation
- May decrease risk of gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and cesarean delivery
- Promotes healthy weight gain during pregnancy
- Improves overall general fitness and strengthens your heart and blood vessels
- Make weight loss after pregnancy easier.
On top of that, it is well known that exercising may increase energy and mood and helps with sleep.
Activities To Avoid While Being Pregnant
• Activities where you may fall.
• Exercises that you may get abdominal trauma. This includes contact sports where you may get hit or do rapid changes.
• Exercises that require you to bounce or jump extensively.
• Intense exercises.
• Exercises in weather that is too hot and humid, like during a Hot Yoga class.
• Scubadiving might sound fun, but it should absolutely be avoided during pregnancy.
• Skydiving is another cool activity that you must remove from your list while you are pregnant.
You never want to exercise to the point of exhaustion.
Some other things to consider when you learn how does exercise affect pregnancy are:
• Wear loose-fitting clothes and use an excellent supportive bra.
• Choose well-fitting shoes.
• Only exercise on a flat surface to help prevent falls.
• Eat healthy to ensure that you can have the energy for your exercise program.
• Do not eat one hour before exercising to ensure that you are not going to get sick.
• Drink plenty of water.
• If you do any floor exercises, be sure to get up slowly to prevent dizziness.
After so many restrictions, you might wonder, but what activities can you actually do while pregnant?
There are still some safe and pleasant activities you can enjoy while being pregnant. They will depend on what you like to do.
The Best 5 Activities That You Can Do While Pregnant
Swimming is a fun activity that you can do while pregnant. Swimming can help you to feel lighter and help to ease your muscle aches and back pain. Just be sure to use caution while swimming, especially if you do it somewhere like the ocean.
Walking is one of the most recommended exercise activities out there for everyone. You can take a walk on the beach, a walk in your local neighborhood.
3. Prenatal Yoga
Yoga, especially prenatal yoga, can help you stretch your joints and muscles, which will help you to alleviate pain. It may also help you to prepare for labor.
4. Prenatal Pilates
Prenatal Pilates can be a great way to strengthen your pelvic floor and improve your balance.
5. Stationary bicycling
The standard bicycle can be dangerous because you may lose balance and fall. A better alternative might be stationary bicycling.
What Activities Can You Do While Pregnant: To Sum It Up
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to stay active while pregnant. Routine exercise and having fun are great for your physical and mental health. However, the type of activities you can do while pregnant will depend on your own personal preferences and primarily on what your doctor recommends.